Randle carried out a feasibility investigation for Alvis Vickers into an independent suspension and wheel reduction system. There are two major requirements placed on this suspension system which strongly influence the end result: the ground clearance of over 500 mm is the same as the tyre standing radius; the overall suspension travel requirement is 400mm.
- Concept design produced, featuring supporting calculations on constituent parts such as bearings, gears, air springs, and driveshafts where appropriate.
- Linkage devised and optimised for kinematic performance.
- Interference checks carried out for extremes of steering and suspension travel.
- A novel shallow-angle bevel wheel reduction system was proposed as part of this exercise
- Most components common to front and rear systems
- Novel suspension upright construction
- "Off the shelf" componentry
- 400mm of travel, 500mm of ground clearance
- Concept study completed under extreme time pressure in just four weeks